A refreshing swim and a dip in the hot tub can often be just what the doctor ordered, especially as our Calgary weather grows colder.
Whether you like to swim for fun or for serious cardio, look for a neighbourhood that's close to a great aquatic facility when house hunting in Calgary. Wouldn't you rather spend time doing laps than in your car getting to the pool?
We've listed a few Calgary indoor pools by area:
Calgary City Centre
- Repsol Sports Centre: Formerly known as the Talisman Centre and Lindsay Park Sports Centre, the Repsol Sports Centre is perhaps the largest in Calgary. Located at 2225 Macleod Trail in Mission it is convenient to Calgary City Centre. Aquatic features include two 8-lane 50m pools and a teaching pool, training pools, dive towers and tank, hot tub, steam room, and cold recovery tank. This is a serious facility for those who want to take their swimming and diving to the next level.
- SAIT Aquatic Centre: 1301 – 16 Ave NW in Rosedale. This saltwater pool will give you an awesome lap workout because the pool is 35 metres long instead of the standard 25 metres. Extra distance and extra money as the day pass for adults is $12, parking included.
- Beltline Aquatic and Fitness Centre: 221 – 12 Ave SW downtown. This small but mighty facility has a four-lane pool for laps with a reasonable adult drop-in price of $6.
- Inglewood Aquatic Centre: Just minutes from Downtown, the Inglewood Aquatic Centre is located at 1527 17 Avenue S.E. in Inglewood. The main feature is its iIndoor, six lane, 25 metre salt water pool with rope swing and 2 metre slide that varies in depth from 1 to 3 metres. It is also home to a popular aquatic climbing wall. Privacy stalls are available in the women's change room.
- Southland Leisure Centre: 2000 Southland Dr. SW in Palliser. This pool is more park-like with a wave pool and an aqua-play structure. It also has some awesome waterslides. It's the kind of place you want to bring your kids to and stay all day. Adult admission is $11.95. The Southland Leisure Centre has water related activities for just about everyone. It is an indoor waterpark with slides, a wave pool, an aqua play area for children and even a steam room. Be sure to ask about “walking on water” in 2-metre waterballs for hamster-ball type fun on the water.
- Trico Centre: 11150 Bonaventure Dr. SE in Willow Park. The pool is one of the warmest in the city at 30 degrees Celsius. There's also a hot tub, steam pool and a rain curtain. This recreation centre has rinks, work out room and on-site physiotherapy clinic. Along with an almost constant array of seasonal programs and events the aquatic features include an extra warm pool with “waves”, an easy to use beachfront entry for young ones, a tot area with lots of toys and a unique “rain curtain.”
- Shawnessy YMCA: 333 Shawville Blvd SE in Shawnessy. This location of the Calgary Y has a training pool, hot tub and steam room. The aquatic centre is part of a larger facility offering an indoor track and climbing wall. Drop in is $14.25.
- Canyon Meadows Aquatic & Fitness Center: Located in the community of Canyon Meadows, this aquatic & fitness centre is at 89 Canova Rd. S.W. The indoor pool is a six lane, 25 metre salt water pool. It has a diving pool with 1.5 metre slide along with a 500 lb. capacity permanent pool lift. Visitors also have access to a hot tub, whirlpool and steam bath.
- Acadia Aquatic & Fitness Centre: This indoor pool and fitness center is located at 9009 Fairmount Dr. S.E. in Acadia and is a good choice for serious lane swimmers to those who like to splash and public swim. Acadia is a six lane, 25-metre salt water pool with two 2-metre pool slides and rope swing. The facility also offers a variety of aquatic fitness programs for those in search of getting fit more gently.
- Westside Rec Centre: 2000 – 69 St SW in Springbank Hill. This is one of Calgary's newer facilities with a water slide, hot tub and indoor river where you can relax on an inflatable and hang out for the day. Drop-in admission for adults is $15. Big, bright, beautiful and modern, the Westside Rec Centre is one of the most impressive indoor waterparks in the region. The Centre boasts of a wave pool, lap pool, tot pool, overhead waterslide, lazy river, hot tub and steam room... and those are just the water features! Water areas have age restrictions to keep younger ones safer.
Calgary North West
- University of Calgary: 2500 University Dr. NW in University Heights. This is where Canada's Olympic swimmers have trained. It's the ideal training pool with 50-metre lanes that can be converted to 25-metre lanes with a movable bulkhead. Adult admission is $10.50.
- Vecova Recreation Centre: 3304 – 33 St NW in Varsity. This salt water pool is also wheelchair-accessible and even warmer than Trico. It's a soothing 34.5 degrees Celsius. An adult pass for the day is $7.75.
Calgary North East
- Village Square Leisure Centre: 2623 – 56 St NE in Pineridge. Another great indoor aquatic park with swinging bridges, slides, spray guns and a wave pool. There's also a hot tub and dive tank. Adult admission is $11.95. This modern, versatile leisure center is loaded with indoor water fun! This waterpark has a wave pool, water slides, dive tank, steam room, hot tub and a unique Safari Splash Zone®. The facility is also home to the Village Square Arenas and fitness centre and weight room.
- Thornhill Aquatic & Recreation Centre: Divers and swimmers will appreciate these facilities at 6715 Centre St. N.W. In Calgary. They start with a six-lane 25-metre salt water pool with a depth ranging from 1.1 to 1.4-metres. The dive pool has a 1-metre diving board with a depth that ranges from 3 to 3.7-metres. Visitors will also appreciate the hot tub/whirlpool and steam room. There are privacy stalls in both the men's and women's changing rooms.