People spend most of their days and nights at home, but they may not realize how the house could have dangers in every room. These areas of risk cover the most common safety hazards homeowners need to observe on a regular basis.
Ventilation & Indoor Air Quality
Proper ventilation in the home is key to keeping everyone healthy and happy. Homes that run on natural gas for heat or cooking need adequate ventilation for the furnace or range. Without ventilation, a deadly amount of carbon monoxide could accumulate. Ventilation also helps to eliminate fumes from cleaning products. Harsh chemicals could also cause long-term health problems if they are not properly removed from the home.
People who live in earthquake-prone areas know that they need to secure their furniture to the wall so that it does not topple. However, families with young children should also ensure that their furniture pieces are properly anchored to the wall. If pets or members of the household climb on the furniture and it falls, it may injure or crush them.
Exposed wiring and electrical outlets are a significant source of shocks in the home each year. Homeowners should consider placing covers on outlets to reduce access to the outlets for pets and any members of the household who may be tempted to play with them. Problems with a home's electricity are often best solved by an expert.
Getting hot water from the tap could be a source of burns or bacteria. Turning the hot water heater temperature below 49 degrees Celsius could promote the growth of Legionella Bacteria, which may cause various respiratory conditions. Experts recommend setting a hot water heater to at least 49 degrees. Using a mixing valve keeps the water coming out of the tap at a comfortable and safe temperature for the whole family.
Carbon Monoxide in the Home
One of the most secretive dangers in the home is carbon monoxide poisoning, which occurs when this gas builds up in your blood stream due to exposure. This colorless, odorless gas tends to accumulate due to burning certain fuels such as gas, propane, charcoal or wood—especially in small, enclosed spaces. When carbon monoxide reaches dangerous levels symptoms may appear that include:
- Dull headaches
- Nausea or Vomiting
- Shortness of Breath
- Blurred Vision
- Loss of Consciousness
With too much carbon monoxide burgeoning the body, there are high risks of irreversible damage to organs, tissue and this can even cause death. Investing in carbon monoxide detectors now can save lives in the future.
Anything that could cause someone to trip or lose their balance is a potential safety hazard. Where falls are concerned, staircases and windows are particularly risky. People with limited mobility are more likely to fall down the stairs and injure themselves, whether due to age or a disability. Gates minimize the chances of infants and toddlers climbing the stairs unsupervised. People can also install special guards to prevent windows from opening too wide.
Finding safety in the home may be more difficult than people expect. With a better understanding of these home dangers, South East Calgary home buyers and homeowners can be more prepared to prevent a disaster.